Sunday, November 21, 2010

For quilt lovers...

This is the neatest idea for "using it up".
Scrappy Quilt

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The joys of being Pops...

He is so patient and loving with all the living things at our house, especially me.  I found this on my monitor one morning:

The joys of being Mimi...

Mayah and I made her a pillowcase out of the "beautiful" fabric.  She chose stars for the hem.

Jordy chose one out of this fabric with flowers for the hem but I neglected to get a picture.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Use it up...

Lissie bought a dress and she asked me to turn it into a top for her.  It had four tiers, so I just cut off the bottom tier and shortened the lining. Now the fabric I removed is a skirt for one of the girls. The print is a filmy polyester and is definitely see-through.  It would have been nice to use the solid for a lining, but that's all there was so it got a ruffle instead.  Lissie said it would look cute over leggings and I agree.  Now we'll have to see which one of them it fits.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Much complaining later...

Photo of coat and pattern pull out from magazine.  Dizzying, isn't it?

The blue is darker than it seems here, more like the shade in the subsequent photos.
I am FINALLY done with a coat I made for Rocco.  Lissie chose the fabrics from my excessive stash.  It is a pattern from the Finnish magazine, Ottobre, the Autumn 2010 issue, number 19, Naava.  These patterns are very different from the standard American ones.  They have no seam allowances and the directions are not always helpful to me.  There aren't many pictures of the sewing process and since I'm a visual learner, this presents a problem.  Sometimes I had to do things my own way because I couldn't wrap my head around what the instructions said.
In the end, despite many mistakes, I think it turned out pretty well.  The first time I cut it out, I forgot to add seam allowances.  No problem for the corduroy...big problem for the lining.  I had had the blue fabric for about 30 years, since I lived in Seattle.  I loved the color and just never wanted to cut into it.  Thirty years of uncertain storage took its toll.  There was fading along fold lines in many places.  I was able to find enough good areas to cut it out (twice), but the cotton print remnant was finite in amount and I'd gotten it several years ago.  I couldn't cut it out again with seam allowances.  After some analyzing of the situation, I decided to make bias tape to sew the seams of the lining together.  I also didn't put in true pockets, just the fake welt.  They weren't going to look right and no one year old needs real pockets.  Hopefully, Buddy's will be easier.
I think it worked as well as it could have.  It took a a lot of thinking on my part to figure out how to fix all the mistakes I made.  Ever since I had my thyroid removed, my brain doesn't work quite up to the speed it did before.  Or, maybe it's the fact that I'm not stressed and on overload working a gazillion hours a day.  That pace probably did keep me sharper in some ways.  Not happier, though.  I'm much happier these days...much.
Look how I positioned this in the lining.  Just want to help Rocco remember where he needs to come home to eventually.  Libya isn't Idaho, lucky for me.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Ingrid Michaelson - Maybe (Official Music Video)



We saw her...again...at The Knitting Factory on Friday night.  She is cheeky, funny, sassy girl.  She could be one of my daughters, fitting right in between Sarah and Catie.  I think I'm going to ask her...